Friday, April 8, 2016

WOOOAAHHH Living On a Prayer - 4/7/16


Elder Ridd & Elder Boscan - at the orthodontist's office in Provo
Ciao Family!

Okay, so this week was really busy...but I think that’s ‘cause all weeks here are. 

I'll start with the best part of the week. General Conference. Wow. Over the course of 2 days I have never sat on my butt longer for a good reason....it must have been at least 26 hours during those 2 days I was sitting. It was all worth it though. I think Priesthood session was magnificent and was my favorite. Elder Nelson gave an AMAZING talk. (Click here to read or listen to this talk!). All I have to say is thank you so much for being an amazing father, Dad! I couldn't be close to what I am and will be without you in my life. 

But it’s so hard to pick a favorite talk, because so many were great. It's kinda sad to see President Monson not looking too hot. Sunday night we had a devotional from Vocal Point which was actually pretty great...I have to admit, I gained a bit more respect for them and they can really sing “Nearer My God to Thee.”

On Tuesday night we had a very much-needed devotional for me - probably my favorite devotional so far. It was by Elder Ardern of the 70. He talked on how to be the best missionary we can be, and what we can do to ensure that. On a kinda funny note...in the middle of his talk there was a bat that was flying around the room. Weird.

Some things that helped break up the MTC routine this week were: On Sunday I broke my permanent retainer again, so on Tuesday I went to the outside world to get my retainer glued back in. Not super exciting....BUT in my circumstances it was thrilling. Then on Wednesday we got to host the new missionaries again. That is always interesting. It was a beautiful day, so it was nice to be outside for some of it. I also had TRC that night which was fun. I realized even if I can’t say what I want to in Italian yet, the Spirit will do it for me if I try and get close. Part of my method of learning Italian (in addition to classes & study) is just guessing at random words in conversation. 50% of the time, it works every time. 

Tomorrow Anziano Boscan and I are speaking only Italian. It will be interesting - hahahha. I will have to tell y'all how that goes. I think we will do it a few more times next week. I am eager to go into the field and be a real missionary, BUT I see how important this time in the MTC is. Language is coming...I'm getting way better at basic sentence flow and such. This week we are going into a lot more grammar and that's super nice.

All in all the MTC is pretty great. (3 weeks down & 3 to go!).

So here is the interesting stuff that happened this week. 

About a week ago I saw the “wall sit” record for the MTC and said...I may not be the most athletic person, BUT I do have the willpower to sit on a wall for longer than anyone else. So last week I broke the wall sit record for guys, which is now 8:05 minutes. Now I can’t say much...the girls’ record is 15:00. 

This week, Anziano Alexander and Anziano Hansen were teaching our agnostic investigator Alessia. It was the first lesson they had with her. She has a boyfriend who has MS and it’s a big worry for her. 

Time for chapter 2 of Anziano Ridd's language confusion. During our 2nd lesson with Alessia, I was trying to tell her, "I am so excited you decided to turn to faith in this hard time." Well....I got my words mixed up...Chaos Ensued.

Thanks for the packages and letters! Mom, you are the real MVP! Chips and salsa were amazing! 

I hope y'all are all doing great! Love you all! 

Love,
Anziano Ridd

In bocca al lupo
Our teacher
Anziano Boscan

No comments:

Post a Comment